The Mercedarian Sisters of the Most Blessed Sacrament were founded in Mexico City on March 25, 1910. When Mother María del Refugio asked the diocesan curia for a religious as director and guide of the Institute, Father Alfredo Scotti, O. de M., Provincial of Mexico, was suggested to her.
Father Scotti became very interested in the well-being of the community and he dedicated himself to revise the Constitutions in agreement with Mother María del Refugio and with the help of Mother Consuelo Olivares. On July 11, 1925, the sisters were spiritually incorporated in the Order of Mercy. They obtained pontifical approval on July 22, 1948.
The purpose of the Institute is expressed in these terms in the Constitutions approved in 1989: “To work eagerly to extend the reign of Jesus in the Eucharist and filial love for our Blessed Mother of Mercy.” This apostolate is expressed through the education of children and youth and their formation in Eucharistic worship and piety.
The Congregation has schools and colleges and it takes special care in preparing children for first communion.
At the present time, the sisters are in Mexico, Colombia, Chile, the United States, El Salvador, Italy and Spain.
We continue to pray for the renewal and ongoing work of these Sisters, in faithful witness to the charism and spirituality of Mother Maria del Refugio.